"Words without poetry lack passion; words without passion lack persuasion; words without persuasion lack power."

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Where Home Really Is

Home is a familiar sensation.

Home is full of safety and raw, genuine existing; a place where breathing is easy and fear is unthinkable, for it does not exist.

 "The ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned." -Maya Angelou

--
Over the course of my life I have lived in many different houses and two different states. I have done quite a bit of traveling, and consequently saw some beautiful places. Even still, "home" has nothing to do with a building or geographical location in my life.

"Home," to me, is the place where I am most myself. When I am at "home" I feel safe, raw, vulnerable and transparent in the healthiest of ways. "Home" helps me process, regroup my perspective and priorities, and most often inspires me.  Sometimes, a location feels like "home," but mostly actions, settings, or even people feel like "home." In my life, where I meet God is always "home," for God defines who I am.

The following are circumstances of "home" to me so far:
  • Family.
  • When I am dancing. On stage or in the studio with the lights off. 
  • Writing, piano. 
  • In community. People.
  • When I am a part of something larger than myself.
  • Adventures. Cities. Out of the ordinary. Travel.
  • In the midst of outdoor beauty. 
  • Reading with coffee.  Especially while its raining.
Home refreshes me and reminds me of who I am--so I may function smoothly.

So, today, I encourage you to identify where your "home" is.

“Home is a place not only of strong affections, but of entire unreserved; it is life's undress rehearsal, its backroom, its dressing room, from which we go forth to more careful and guarded intercourse, leaving behind."-Harriet Beecher

Share: what is "home" to you?

2 comments:

  1. Hanging out with my little brother. We can go from just sitting and listening to music to doing something totally random. He has such a joy for life and God. He's laid back and knows when to just relax and go with the flow. He's always there to pull me out of a funk and to push me to be the best version of myself. He's one of two people who actually gets me and lets me be exactly who I am. We've been through so much and even though we're not blood relatives, we're closer than most. True unconditional love is priceless and that's what we share...a bond that strengthens us as individuals. It's nice to know that he'll always be there for me and he knows I'll always be there for him. He makes me feel at home.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...